Brought to you by the Fisher Center for Alzheimer's Research Foundation www.ALZinfo.org
Fisher Center For Alzheimer's Research
Home    Search    Invite    Forum    Chatroom    Videos    Stories    Games    Help    Please Log in

An Alzheimer's Forum where you can post questions, topics, express your opinion, and share information with individuals concerning Alzheimer's.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   InboxInbox 

Lithium Aspartate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alzheimer's Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Resnick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Lithium Aspartate Reply with quote

Lithium is an important trace element naturally occurring in many types of foods including grains and vegetables. Lithium Aspartate is commonly used in the natural treatment of hyperthyroidism and other thyroid diseases because it helps in the spreading of iodine evenly throughout the body. Lithium Aspartate may also affect the important brain chemical and increase their concentration. Lithium Aspartate in really low common doses evens climate and spreads and antagonises iodine then reducing hyperthyroid and bettering thyroid part mostly. Lithium and vitamin D both cut the intake of iodide by the thyroid then giving more for the end of the system and letting iodine remain there longer. Lithium Aspartate spreads iodine more evenly in the body and regulates the brain functioning by increasing serotonin and promotes the new brain cell growth.
Marcus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: HOW TO ENLARGE YOUR BRAIN AND IMPROVE BRAIN PERFORMANCE Reply with quote

Got this in an e~mail.I am not saying it works. I am just saying it is interesting to me and I hope it works.
Protect Your Brain
from Alzheimer's
...with a surprise, 26 cent miracle?

It's a solution so simple and effective it's positively revolutionary...

Quite frankly, mainstream medicine is stumped when it comes to Alzheimer's. They don't understand why it strikes, how it erodes your mind, or how to get rid of it once it does.

The only thing they DO understand is how to overcharge you for useless pills...and how to recommend a good nursing home.

But no matter what you've heard, just know that Alzheimer's is NOT a death sentence and you DON'T have to lose your wits. Natural treatments exist - and fortunately for you, they're much cheaper and may even be much more effective than anything requiring a prescription.

Keep your memory, wit and independence -
as this miracle mineral may actually rebuild your brain

Scientists believe they have confirmed what they once thought impossible...that you can actually "regrow" and regenerate your brain - at any age ...

This led the main researcher to exclaim: "This is the first demonstration of a pharmacological (drug) increase of human brain matter."

So what is this mineral miracle that's been hiding under our noses the whole time?

It's... lithium .

Now bear with me here. Most people think Lithium's for loons in straight-jackets. But that's lithium carbonate - which is only available with a prescription and used to treat bipolar disorder. Truth be told, lithium isn't a drug at all. It's a mineral-part of the same family of minerals that includes sodium and potassium.

I'm talking about lithium aspartate or lithium orotate - completely safe minerals you can pick up at any health food store for about 26 cents.

So safe in fact, one healer has used them to treat Alzheimer's for the last 31 years without reporting a single significant side effect. Try to get those kinds of results from prescription drugs!

But even more astounding than the decades-long safety record of these two minerals is how powerful they really are...

Major Alzheimer's Pathways BLOCKED!

THE FDA-approved Alzheimer's drug Namenda® has been touted as the solution, but in reality, it blocks only ONE Alzheimer pathway.

Meanwhile , Lithium aspartate and orotate have been shown to BLOCK MAJOR PATHWAYS in recent studies!

Not to mention Namenda® runs about $4.84 a day - almost 20 times what it costs you for your 26-cent-a-day lithium tablets.

But here's the worst part - one of Namenda's® most common side effects is... CONFUSION!?

That means this drug that supposedly treats confusion is actually causing it!

Unbelievable you say. Well, this is coming straight from the normally tight-lipped FDA's own website.

Now, you have to ask yourself: "Why haven't I heard about this before?"

If they can't patent it, they can't profit...
so they don't want it!

You see, lithium aspartate and lithium orotate are minerals. Which means they cannot be patented. And without a patent Big Pharma cannot profit.

Of course, this is the kind of straight-forward answer you'll never get from them. They're too busy counting the money they make from your misery and strong-arming you into paying 20 times more for a drug that is only 1/6 th as potent and can actually CAUSE what you are trying to treat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO ENLARGE YOUR BRAIN AND IMPROVE BRAIN PERFORMANCE

By Dr. James Howenstine, MD.
May 5, 2004
NewsWithViews.com

Conventional medical thinking concerning the brain have always believed that the brain steadily decreased in size with aging and that when brain neurones (nerve cells) died they were lost forever. This explains why elderly persons generally have slightly smaller brains than younger individuals.

Preserving And Renewing Brain Cells With Lithium

Medical students are taught that there is a slow steady loss of brain cells with aging culminating in gradual shrinkage of the brain. Lithium has long been known to be an effective therapy for Bipolar Disorder (manic depression) when taken in high doses. However, recent research has shown that low doses of lithium preserve and renew[1] brain cells. Eight of ten persons given lithium showed an increase in brain grey matter of 3 % after only 4 weeks. By promoting brain cell regeneration and increasing brain size lithium can function as an anti-aging nutrient for the brain.

Lithium also accomplishes the following benefits for brain cells:

Lithium enhances DNA replication which is the first step to formation of new cells.

The damaging effects of excitotoxins. (monosodium glutamate (MSG), aspartame (Nutrasweet) etc. can be blocked by lithium.[2]

Animal research shows that lithium can decrease the areas of cell death after induced strokes by 56 %.

Lithium protects rat brain cells from the. increased levels of brain cell death caused by anti-convulsant drugs (Dilantin phenytoin , Tegretol, carbamazepine etc.)

Lithium may protect against adverse effects from mood altering drugs, alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, 'uppers"and "downers", and marihuana all of which cause brain damage with long term use.

Abnormally functioning signaling pathways may become repaired by lithium.

The aluminum felt to be a possible cause of Alzheimer's Disease (AD). is chelated[3] by lithium so it can be more easily removed from the body.
Research has suggested that lithium blocks the secretion of beta-amyloid in Alzheimer's disease and prevents damage from pre-existing beta amyloid. Overactivity of the brain cell protein tau contributes to death of neurones in Alzheimer's Disease. Lithium inhibits this tau protein damage and the formation of the neurofibrillary tangles seen in AD.

Ten years of research by 27 counties in Texas disclosed that the incidence of homicide, rape, robbery, burglary, arrests for drug possession, and suicide[4] were higher in counties whose drinking water contained little or no lithium. Counties whose drinking water naturally contained higher amounts of lithium had significantly lower rates of all these crimes. These counties with higher levels of lithium in their tap water experienced fewer hospitalizations for homicides, mental illness[5], psychosis, neurosis, schizophrenia, and personality disorder. Low dosage lithium benefits alcoholism and mood disorders seen in heavy users of alcohol and their relatives. This therapy is often obvious to family members[6] when depression, premenstrual tension, temper flareups and irritability cease affecting the individual. Lithium has been helpful in reducing aggressive[7] behavior in children. High dosages of lithium helped two adult women with severe anorexia nervosa[8] regain 26 and 20 pounds in six weeks. Both women experienced improvement in behavioral problems.

Low dosages of lithium have been found to be safe.[9] Dr. Jonathan Wright suggests 20 to 30 mg. of lithium aspartate or lithium orotate daily as an appropriate dose to stop brain aging. This is 1/3 to 1/6 the dosage of lithium carbonate used to treat manic depressive disorder. Dr. Hans Nieper of Germany has learned that lithium orotate or lithium aspartate penetrate cells more effectively than lithium carbonate so smaller doses can be used. One tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily along with 400 I.U. of vitamin E ensures that no lithium toxicity can develop. These lithium products can be obtained from Tehama Clinic 425-264-0059.

Footnotes:

1, Moore G.L. et al Lithium-induced increase in human grey matter. Lancet 2000; 356: 1, 241-1, 242
2, Nanaka S., Chronic lithium treatment robustly protects neurones in the central nervous system against neuro excitotoxicity by inhibiting N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-mediated calcium influx. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of U.S.A. 1998; 95: 2,642-2,647
3, Radesater A., et al, Inhibition of GSK 3 beta by lithium attenuates tau phosphoralation and degeneration. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 2001: 1, 437
4, Schrauzer,GN et al Lithium in drinking water and the incidence of crimes, suicides, and arrests related to drug addiction. Biological Trace Element Research 1990;105-113
5, Dawson E. B. The relationship of tap water and physiological levels of lithium levels of lithium to mental hospital admission and homicide in Texas. In Schrauzeer GN, Klippel KF (editors) Lithium in Biology and Medicine VCH Publishers, New York, 1991, pp. 170-187
6, Wright Jonathan Lithium Part 2 Other Effects Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients April 2004 pg.59-60
7, Wright J. Lithium, Part 2: Other Effects Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients April 2004 pp. 59
8, Bsreai A. Lithium id adult anorexia nervosa. Acta Psychiat Scand 1977; 55:97-101
9, Wright, J., Nutrition & Healing Vol. 10, Issue 7 Augiust 2003 pg.1-4

Last edited by Marcus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Jocelyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Lithium Aspartate Reply with quote

Hi Marcus
I asked at a health store today about Lithium Aspartate and was told I would never be able to buy it in NZ, I stressed I was not talking about lithium carbonate. The assistant looked it up on her computer and confirmed it is not available in NZ maybe I will ask the doctor next time we go.
Cheers, Jocelyn Rolling Eyes
JimLasVegas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jocelyn - I "googled" it today and found that you can purchase it online fairly reasonably.

Marcus and Resnick - Thank you, thank you, thank you both so much for this info. It's the best and most promising thing for "us" that I've seen. I bought a jar a little over a week ago and am starting out with 10mg/day. It's easy to work with because I open the capsule and "hide" the powder inside a banana bite. (She's developed an aversion to pill-taking)

Jim
jamesperterson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very very very cautious about giving lithium (or taking lithium) without the supervision of an MD experienced in prescribing this drug. It has a narrow dosage window and dangerous side effects when the levels are too high.
Marcus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily along with 400 I.U. of vitamin E ensures that no lithium toxicity can develop.
Charles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Lithium Aspartate works Reply with quote

My father was still undiagnosed (but under observation) last fall when his cognitive state really went downhill. He lost track of things, time and place and became apatic, depressed and less interested engaging in social activities. We had for long time suspected starting alzheimer.

After a lot of digging on the Internet, reading everything related to research on brain neurodegenerative diseases from forums to research papers and other sources it seemed obvious to me that there were something very interesting about Lithium - especially Aspartate and Orotate, though Carbonate is typically referred to in shcool medical research.

Further investigation on Litihum suggested that the poisonous effect was slightly exaggerated due to the so-called therapeutic use in treating bi-polar disorder with dosages usually between 450-1000mg Lithium Carbonate daily to get the right milliequalent per liter blood (MEQ/l) - this of course depends on the persons size/weight. The "therapeutic" dosage is very high and will give side-effects (worst case death) if not taken with Omega 3 oil/fish oil/flaxseed oil. Another aspect was the probability of getting serotonin syndrome when used in combination with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Escitalopram (trade names Lexapro, Cipralex). Still I found the combination of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and Lithium in "therapeutic" dosages to be common in bi-polar diosorders with not too many complications.

The conclusion seemed obvious; Lithium in low dosages (20-30mg daily) was way under what could be considered dangerous, so we bought Lithium Aspartate 5mg and started the treatment with 10mg a day + omega 3 oil.

Overnight, after 10-12 hours, he became another man; social, happy, decisive and back in the drivers seat. In some areas he became the man he was 20 years earlier and in others where he was some years ago. Still he had some fall-backs when he was put under a lot of stress. After some months on Lithium Aspartate he now got the diagnosis, but still he can work and his cognivtive state seems to be stable; overall pretty normal functioning, but not when put under heavy mental pressure or when forgetting to take the Lithium (which now is 20mg a day.

I am sure of one thing - considering his state last year, if it had not been for Lithium, he would never have been working or functioning like he does at this point in time.

The interesting part remains; the future development.

BTW: I have also been using 10-20mg daily in the same period - no problems.
skericheri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles---Please tell me more. For instance...Did (or does) your father have any other health issues? What other medications did (or does) he take?
Charles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Other preparates Reply with quote

Diabetes type 2 and insulin on demand. A mirtazapine preparate since spring last year taken every evening made him sleep through the night, which had an overall good effect. He was also put on an escitalopram preparate late fall, which worsened the situation; due to his lose of emotional control he had the same side-effects as teenagers, aggressive behavior. This behavior stopped immediately when he started taking 10 mg Lithium Aspartate a day and he decided to stop using mirtazapine without side-effects after a week on Lithium (he had a total of 1-2 months on mirtazapine).

At the moment he uses mirtazapine every evening to get a good nights sleep and 10 mg Lithium in the morning and 10 mg in the evening, combined with high quality omega 3 cold pressed fish oil (which includes E-vitamin).
The diabetes is primary controlled through food, but with insulin when needed.

His doctor said that he can continue working after the diagnosis. This is contrary to the message he got late fall, when the doctor urged him to consider retiring.
Charles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: What to expect from Lithium Reply with quote

To give you a clue of what to expect, this study suggests that lithium treatment reduces the prevalence of Alzheimer's disease in patients with bipolar disorder with as much as 85%:
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/190/4/359

On the other hand another study suggests that Lithium given in "therapeutic levels" (450-1000mg) destroys brain cells, so this may be one way to explain the 15% that was diagnosed.
Esther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Lithium -- renewing brain cells and preventing Alzheimer's Reply with quote

When I purchased lithium for assisting both my husband and me with our memory, etc, and to aid in preventing dementia or Alzheimer's I wasn't sure of what or how much to take of either the aspartate or orotate. I have both: 5mg tabs of the aspartate and 120 mg of the orotate.

Are these ever taken 'together'? If so do you know what the dosage should be? What is the difference between the two lithium products? We'll start with the Lithium Aspartate 5mg morning and evening, but am interested in hearing from others about the Lithium Orotate and whether the two should be taken together or not, and if so, the dosage.

Thanks for the assist.

~ Esther
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low dosages of lithium have been found to be safe.[9] Dr. Jonathan Wright SUGGESTS 20 to 30 mg. of lithium aspartate OR lithium orotate daily as an appropriate dose to stop brain aging. This is 1/3 to 1/6 the dosage of lithium carbonate used to treat manic depressive disorder. Dr. Hans Nieper of Germany has learned that lithium orotate or lithium aspartate penetrate cells more effectively than lithium carbonate so smaller doses can be used. One tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily along with 400 I.U. of vitamin E ensures that no lithium toxicity can develop.
120 mg of the orotate? That is a lot.20mg to 30mg. daily.
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Lithium Aspartate - powerful stuff! Reply with quote

As a pretty much healthy person (no obvious need for Lithium, except potentially preventive ones), I have stress-tested "my own system" from 5 to 40mg Lithium Aspartate, sudden stop, one "white" month and sudden start with 40 mg. Without flax-seed oil. No noticeable change in any way except for maybe a little bit easier to wake up in the morning.

I did this to find out if and how Lithium in these dosages would effect my body. I started 8-9 months ago. Happy to share it seems pretty harmless so far.

Regarding my father he has got his driving license back and is working full-time.

I must mention that people I know has started using Lithium for anxiety, depressions and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - all with astounding results. I even know a 95-year-old lady who started using Lithium Aspartate to get her head back together - it worked!
Cynmark24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Lithium Aspartate Reply with quote

Hi Marcus,

I was just reading your initial post about lithium aspartate (09/29/0Cool, and I couldn't help but observe that (without giving your source and without quoting), you were taking word for word what was written in a small promtional book called "Shocking Medical Coverups" by Matthew Simons.

Your post would have had more credibility had you given your source and not made it sound as if it came from you directly.

Having said that, do you have any first hand experience with lithium aspartate, and to give you the opportunity to respond to my question, was there a reason why you "lifted" the article from the book? Since you weren't selling anything, why did you promote lithium aspartate that way?

Please understand that I am not attacking you. My prime concern is my 85 year old mother with stage 6 Alzheimers. I want to start her on 10mg. but I need some assurances that I will be helping, not hurting her.

If anyone else has recently used it, could you please share your experience with it.

Thank you.
Marcus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial post about lithium aspartate was March 17 2008
http://www.alzinfo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27
and I tried to link to my source but since it was an advertisement linked through my E~mail it did not work.I did say the link was not working.
That was over 2 years ago,I had never heard about it so I did a little research and found the other article with the name of the author and I do give him the credit.
Here is another one The Misunderstood Mineral — LITHIUM
http://www.tahomaclinic.com/articles.shtml
by Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.
As far as my credibility,I am not making any claims here. I am just sharing this with others that might be interested and have not heard about it.Maybe I should go back and edit this post.
Charles and fico says it works but they joined a year ago and posted on one subject.Are they for real or do they stand to profit?
I do not know. I wish someone could say it worked for them and stay with us to prove it to us.
I don't know if I would try it or not.I would want to actually talk to Dr. Wright. What about liver damage or kidney damage?Would it be worth trying on someone in stage 6? I would do a whole lot more research before trying it,that is for sure.Let us know what you find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alzheimer's Forum Forum Index -> Open Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: