Question :
We have a durable power of attorney for our uncle, who has deteriorated to the point of not being able to make decisions, do we now need a guardianship?
Answer :
If you have the power of attorney and health care power of attorney/health care proxy, I don't see the need. Guardianship is a costly and time consuming process that usually isn't necessary if you have the other papers all in order. Best to consult with an elder law attorney in your area. You can find one on the site, under the heading Alzheimer's Resources and then select Resource Locator.

  Was this answer useful to you?
Yes No


Yes What did you think of our faq response? Let us know how you felt by expressing your feelings by donating to Alzheimer's Research.
$10 (Not Bad) $25 (Good Tip) $50 (Excellent Tip)
Other: $ .00